Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Thoughts for the old year and the new

I have a great quote I scribbled from somewhere on my notebook
'There are years that ask questions and years that answer.' Zora Neale Hurston.

2011 was quite a tough year for me and the question it kept asking was - what am I going to do now the kids don't need me so much?
2012 came back with the most surprising answer - sing,

It was a spur of the moment decision to go to a 'come and try' rehearsal of the Darwin Chorale back in January - shyly and not knowing if I would be 'good enough'. They were so welcoming to all of us newbies, and it has turned out to be a huge source of JOY...

I had thought that making art should be enough, that I should avoid distractions. I had painted myself into a corner and singing was the window I climbed out of!!! I suppose what I want to say is - it's not too late to try something new, or take a detour, or embrace a distraction!

(Funny that back in Feb 2011 I was making these magnets with the message I needed.)


Today, for the first day of 2013 I've tried to do some of the things I want to do through the year - a bit of painting, a walk on the beach with my daughter, some sorting and throwing out (decluttering!!). I hope your day has been full of promise, and wish you all that's good for 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment