Monday, June 24, 2013

my tropical garden

Gardening in the tropics is challenging! In simple terms there are two season - the wet season, when it's hot and humid  and rains a lot - and the dry season when it's a little cooler and doesn't rain from May to October.

In the front yard I have pineapples which only need watering once a week through the dry and can fend for themselves in the wet! In the backyard I have a little flower patch!


I planted this mainly to bring pollinating insects to the garden after the year I couldn't get my eggplants to set fruit.

My veggie patch is in planter boxes because the soil is so poor and full of the roots of surrounding palm trees. I'm growing lemon grass, perennial coriander, tomatoes, parsley and Thai basil - which has these amazing purple flowers.

 I'm not a great gardener, and don't have a lot of time to spend on it, but I do enjoy the 15 minutes or half an hour a day I spend pottering about, watering and seeing what's thriving and what's not, and how many tomatoes are there? (5 so far!!)

Here's a painting of one of my gardening failures - I've tried growing sunflowers a couple of times but they don't get much bigger than daisies, and nothing like the gorgeous blooms in Van Gogh's paintings! I've listed this little painting over on my etsy shop - I'll be adding something each month now I have a computer that works!!

School holidays have just begun here, hooray! Hope you have a good week!


No comments:

Post a Comment